Pages

Ú I Vethed Nâ I Onnad: Happy Birthday, Tolkien!

Posted by Unknown | Posted in , , | Posted on Friday, January 04, 2013


Before anyone asks, no, the title above does not mean happy birthday at all in Elvish. I took it from a Sindarin song, Evenstar, voiced by Fiona McNeal. It means "It's not the end, it's the beginning". Sounds fancy, right?



I have not read the whole J.R.R. Tolkien books, so I can't say that I'm his big fan either. I read it once a few years back but had to put it down since I was caught up in studying and cramming for my final exam in High School. I have not read it back since then, but thinking to do it once my thesis and job allow to breathe. I, however, a big fan of Lord of the Ring movie franchise. Well, who doesn't?


The amazing movie aside, I understand that Tolkien has inspired plenty of other amazing works. One of them is another fandom I love, a series I grew up with: Harry Potter. Without saying, Dumbledore is pretty much a close cloning of Gandalf. Everyone can see the similarities right? The long beard, the wise mind, and how they choose to not use their great power to dominate others are very much the same to me. My silly eyes even think that Dumbledore and Gandalf are the same people when I was much younger.

Tolkien also inspires me with his love in linguistics. Dare I say he is the lord of linguistics himself. According to Wikipedia, he himself has created 20 new languages, including Elvish, Khuzdul, Entish, Valarin, and Black Speech. There are also some languages of men with different grammar and vocabulary: Adunaic and Taliska are the two of them. People said there are still more languages constructed by Tolkien that have not been known yet. There are still plenty of his papers in linguistics remain unpublished.

Nevertheless, I never heard any other single person who has constructed more languages more than 20. So, all hail Tolkien!

And happy 121st birthday! I wonder if you would grow your beard like Gandalf.

Comments Posted (0)

Post a Comment