Pages

Should I Change My Major?

Posted by Unknown | Posted in | Posted on Friday, January 04, 2013



Apparently Florida, US, has a plan to give discount on tuition each year for any university or college students who want to change their major to engineering.

Now if the question is asked to me: Will you, as an English Literature student, change your major to engineering if the discount is offered to you? Note in here please that engineering students usually have wider prospects in different field of job than my current major. So, will you?


No. But thanks for the offer.

I admit that I did apply for architecture major about 4 years ago in one of the private universities in Yogya and I did get accepted. However, due to financial issues I had to let go the opportunity. Do I ever regret that fate? Yes, occasionally; the university is much bigger than my current campus and the prospects after uni years is much bigger. Do I ever think to change my major? No, but I sometimes want to have double degree in other major if financial is not the issue. But do I ever want to let go my English Literature major for another major if I get the chance?

Do I want to let go the four years of hard work and laugh and tears for another major?

Hell, no.

While I understand the job prospect of English Literature student is not as wide as Engineering student, but this subject has successfully stole my heart. I'm not saying I'm a master of Shakespeare, Allan Poe, Austen, or any other great writers. I honestly know nothing about them and have only read and heard a little about them. But English Literature introduces me to Linguistics, and I am currently passionate about the subject. No, I am not that good on this subject either—I just started this new world a few months ago. There are of course plenty subjects about Linguistics, but I never care enough to dwell on it. Not before I started my thesis on Linguistics and realized the fascinating mystery surrounding the human language.

I am actually thinking to have my graduate degree in Linguistics.

Besides, let's face the truth, what do I know about engineering anyway? This subject needs more dedication for its challenging field. Plus, I kind of made a promise to myself that I will try as best as I could to stay away from any field related to math and physics. I don't hate those two subjects, God no. It's them who hate me!

Comments Posted (0)

Post a Comment